10.22.2006

Reading

written october 18th

Since I’ve had a lot of free time on my hands, I’ve started reading a lot. I read a couple of books about Switzerland I brought with me: “Living and Working in Switzerland” and “Living among the Swiss”. The first is a very thorough guide to, well, to living here. It explains everything from registering with the city (as I mentioned before), to skiing, going out, recycling, and a bunch of other useful information (I highly recommend it!, there are titles available for a bunch of other countries). The second one was not so good. It was more not more than an account of experiences told by a bitter businessman who wants to live and work here, although no one will hire him because he’s too old (apparently 50+ is considered old, according to him, banks don’t hire people over 33), and he ended up suing 2 companies.

Yesterday (oct 17) I finished reading “Eldest” by Christopher Paolini. “Eldest” is the second book of a 3-book fantasy story about Dragons, humans, elves, and dwarves, who unite against an evil man who rules their land. Yes, I know what you’re thinking: “Isn’t that the story of lord of the rings plus dragons, minus rings?” Well, yes and no. There are similarities, but it is ultimately different, and quite good. The first book, “Eragon” (which happens to be the name of the main character) has been made into a movie and will be released on December of this year. Abril checked the audiobook out of the library for us, so we could be entertained on the drive from Bloomington to Dallas, and although we didn’t finish it, we liked it a lot. I must say you don’t have to have read the first book to understand the second, but its better if you do. The third book will be released I think next year, and I can’t wait! (I am also waiting for the Harry Potter one.) **on a side note: Gera bought this book here, and he also liked it a lot.

With nothing else to read and a lot of time on my hands, I guess Gera got worried I might go crazy, so last night we went to a bookstore and got a couple more books (expensive). My choice (among a limited selection of books in English) was “The secret life of E. Robert Pendleton”, by Michael Collins, and I’ll be half way through it by tonight. We desperately need to find a library soon! (oh, how I miss MCPL…)

No comments: